Join me as I wander around Central PA aboard my Suzuki V-Strom 650 motorcycle. Sort of a travel(b)log complete with pictures. Bound to get lost now and then - literally and topically.

Monday, September 17, 2007

The day that fall arrived

I think today was the day that fall hit Central PA. Have you ever noticed that seasons don't slowly morph from one to another? You're cruising along through summer and suddenly one day in September, just outa' the blue, it's Fall... that day was today.

The air was cool and crisp, the sky was tumbling with broken clouds through which the brilliant, warm sun kept stabbing it's piercing rays.

Put the quilted liner into the Fieldsheer jacket and, since I don't have any real motorcycle overpants yet, put on some long underwear under my jeans. Was just about perfect for the upper 50 – low 60 temps.

As the V-Strom 650 climbed up and over Dornsife Mtn. I was afraid I had waited too long to go ride.... whereas earlier in the day the sun had been making frequent appearances, now it was quite overcast and even threatening looking. Off to the west, over the Susquehanna river, the clouds were more broken and blue sky could be seen, giving hope that the sun would reappear.




After a brief stop to pick up some electrical switches for some remodeling, I ran north on 225 into Hunter's Station and turned onto the “Low Road.” Yes, there is a “High Road” that somewhat parallels the Low Road, which I would return on later. I'm not sure which would get you to Scotland quicker, but they are both relatively quiet country two lane roads.

Having missed the road I was looking for, I suddenly came across a road that was familiar... what is known locally as the Graffiti Road. This road is pretty well covered along it's mile or two length with graffiti from the simple to the elaborate in plain white or wild colors.



I knew I was nearing the end of the graffiti road when I suddenly caught the acrid scent of hot brakes! The Graffiti Road ends at Rt. 125 partway up it's twisting, hairpin punctuated ascent of Pitman Mountain. Being this close I couldn't resist winding up and over and dropping down into the next valley... and then turning around and coming back down through the twisties a second time before heading North to catch the High Road which would take me through Gowen City and back to Trevorton.

Just before Trevorton the road crests the ridge and then does some really nice sweeping turns through an mining area before arriving at Rt. 225 in Trevorton.



Cruising along 225 towards Dornsife the sun does finally break through. As I head for home the fields are put into brilliant relief by the late evening light. Later that night it the temperature would drop down into the 30's and I know Fall is truly here.

No comments: