Join me as I wander around Central PA aboard my Suzuki V-Strom 650 motorcycle. Sort of a travel(b)log complete with pictures. Bound to get lost now and then - literally and topically.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Rolling to Renovo


Only problem is... we never made it. Monday dawned bright and clear... the first day of our vacation. The next few days were promising rain, so it was time to seize the day.

This would be the longest trip Deb and I have taken together on the V-Strom. The plan was to go to the Cranberry Bog just south of Renovo. The day was clear and cool when we left home. The fall foliage was nearing its peak.

Somewhere north of Jersey Shore I made a wrong turn and by the time we figured it out we had gone quite a ways in the wrong direction.

Since the dogs were home alone, we decided to save the Bog for another day. The roads and fall foliage had been so wonderful that not getting to our intended destination wasn't really a bummer. For that matter it leaves us with an excuse to do this ride again someday.

Dropping down into Lock Haven (by mistake) we parked the Strom and walked the Main St. looking for lunch. Coming upon Leo's Deli/Bakery I liked the look of it. The first bite of my Italian pannini sandwich confirmed my choice... it was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had.

On the way home, we turned off before Allenwood and visited the "Ordnance." What was originally the town of Alvira, PA was taken over by the government during WWII and developed to turn out bombs and TNT. Today all that remains are the concrete bunkers, built to store the explosives, overgrown with vegetation. You can see that the reflective piping on my Fieldsheer jacket really works! Also remaining from before the Ordnance is the old Alvira cemetery where you can find the graves of Civil War and World War I veterans.


Be careful on the road in and out of the Ordnance... it looks like they dropped some ordnance on the road!

No comments: